Thursday, March 18, 2010

Street Performers

Laury's posts about accordeonistes the past two days over at Soar-Dream-France reminded me of this group that I photographed in 2007 on Place des Vosges.  Reading about Laury's encounters with street performers brought to mind my first introduction to this very Parisian phenomenon. The year was 2005; names have been changed to protect the innocent...

The four of us spent a couple of days exploring Paris together. Every time we'd come upon musicians performing on the street or in the Metro, Chuck would stop to listen...sometimes for two or three songs. Barbara, his partner, would fume and fuss. "Come on, Chuck, let's go!" as she tugged on his sleeve. Marie and I would comfort her.."It's okay, really, we're in no hurry." Chuck always tossed a few coins into the cup or basket or open guitar case. Barbara would rag on that, too. "Why do you waste time listening and then waste money?" Chuck's answer: because I enjoy the music, I'm not in that big a hurry, and they work really hard. Showing my appreciation is the right thing to do." Amen to that! Much as I love Barbara (and Chuck not so much!) on this he and I agree. The music is always wonderful, I never want to be in such a big hurry that I miss any of what Paris has to offer, and those musicians and performers work really hard. I follow Chuck's lead...I always stop, I always applaud, and I always throw some coins their way. Heck, I've even been known to buy a CD!

No comments:

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin