Monday, March 22, 2010

It Begins

I feel called to walk the Pilgrim's Path. I would like to begin in Le-Puy-en-Velay and walk at least to Cahors. In order to do this, I not only need to re-institute my daily walking habit, but also condition myself to walk much longer distances than I have in a long time. Since I live in a very rural area, walking around my neighborhood is where I'll start. But on rainy days and until the dirt/gravel roads dry up, it will be very difficult. So today Lucie and I checked out the Great Western bike/walking path that is part of the Iowa Natural Heritage Trail system. Those are my feet and shadow at the trail head. (This photo also serves the purpose of beginning my weekly assignment for Eyes of the Heart; we're supposed to create self-portraits using shadow, framing, reflection, or the self-timer on our cameras. I'm easing into this self-portrait thing...I detest having my picture taken!) Luce and I walked 3 miles in about an hour and 15 minutes...not a fast pace, but do-able for long distance walking. The path is marked at half-mile intervals so you can keep track of distance. It's nicely paved so this will be a great place to come on rainy,muddy days. The only drawback to it is that it's 15 miles one way from my house; not where I'll drive every day as I train.


Even if I'm not able to be a pilgrim, this walking is a win-win situation for us. Lucie gets a bit of exercise and so do I!

1 comment:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

What a neat journey that would be!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin