Saturday, January 24, 2009

Reality Check

Much as I like to blog only about non-whining things, this week I was slapped by a huge 'reality check,' so you are forewarned that I'm going to whine a bit. I'm trying really hard to get my ducks in the water. So, I started to gather information about the nuts and bolts of getting to France for a long term stay...you remember...it's my dream to live a literary life in the south of France? Well...here's reality. First, as an American citizen, I must apply for a long term visa. This applies for all visits to France for over 3 months. My passport alone is good enough for 90 days. In order to apply for this visa, I must go, in person, to the French Embassy in Chicago. So far...not too bad, eh? I'd love to spend some time in Chicago; I've never been there, could be fun. Here's what I have to provide the Embassy:

1. One long-stay application form per passport holder fully filled out and signed - Note that this form is only available in French and must be filled out in French. NO COPY required
2. 1 picture glued/stapled onto EACH application form + 1 picture left loose. All photographs must be recent, in color on a plain white background, of full front view, taken facing the camera. No side or angled view are acceptable. Chin to top of hair should measure about 1"
3. Questionnaire duly filled out in French
4. Passport valid for at least six months (make sure your passport has blank pages left to affix the visa)
5. Status in the US - If you are not a US citizen, copy of your green card or visa.
6. Recent Police Record to be obtained from the F.B.I. (even if blank record)
7. Letter promising not to engage in any employment in France (signature certified by a notary public)
8. Letter of employment in the US stating occupation and earnings
9. Proof of means of income - letter from the bank, investment certificates, pension slips, …
10. Proof of medical insurance
11. Marriage certificate or family book + Birth certificates for children
12. Proof of accommodation in France (title deeds, lease or rental agreement)
13. Processing fee
14. an "express mail envelope" from USPS, self addressed and stamped, for the return of your passport -if you allow the Consulate to keep the passport. If you need it to travel, you may send your passport to the Consulate when the visa process ends (we would contact you to let you know the process is over).

Yikes!! And all these documents have to be accompanied by a translation in French for each one.

Then....after arriving for my long term stay in France (provided they grant me the visa), I have to apply locally for a Carte de Sejour. The requirements are just as lengthy as for the original visa. If you want to see them, click here and scroll down to the part about non-EU citizens. When I googled images for the Carte de Sejour, I was amazed at how many pictures there were, many with their holders proudly showing them off to the camera. After reading through all the requirements to get one, I understood why those folks wanted it recorded for posterity to remember just how hard they worked for their little card! I emailed my cyber-acquaintance, Jo Anne, who spends several months each year living in Provence and asked her "Is this really as hard as it seems?" Her answer was a resounding YES! She did say she'd help me through the process if I decided to forge ahead, though.

I'm thinking this over; I'm not ready to give up my dream, but maybe I need to tweak it a bit. Maybe I need to work on other parts of it instead? Gettin' those duckies in the water is turning out to be harder than I thought.

5 comments:

Jientje said...

Hmmm, okay.But it IS your DREAM right? If others can do it, so can you my friend!
I challenge you to do this, and then we can have that glass of rosé or Pastis at Café de la Poste?

Evelyn said...

Absolutely, Jientje...I'm not giving up! When we meet at Cafe de la Poste, the pastis will be my treat to you!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I feel your pain! I've gone through FAR too many immigration hassles and those have all been in my native language! :)

Two thoughts: ease gently into that cold water by going for three months first (which doesn't require a special visa, right?) or jump in with both feet and endure the pain ... it'll be worth it.

Isabelle said...

They won't let you live your dream so easily, will they?
I agree with Randi's first thought, give it a try for 3 months first, then your feelings about your life will be more clear!

Evelyn said...

Isabelle...nice to hear from you! My philosophy is that if you work hard for something you appreciate it more. So, I'm not giving up my dream just because I'll have to work at it. Once I got over my surprise at the paperwork, I saw the work involved as more of an adventure. I think you and Randi are both on the right track...maybe I'll try 3 months first.

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin