Thursday, January 8, 2009

What I Did on My Christmas Vacation...


I didn't exactly take a Christmas vacation, although I did take the day after Christmas off (expected of all managers since we are 'non-essential to patient care'...ouch!). Starting around Thanksgiving I began to feel a little blue that I hadn't planned anything exciting for the 4-day weekend...no family for Christmas, no trip to some warm and sunny clime. Those Hallmark commercials always get to me...maybe I should have tried to fly to Montana to be with Travis? Once the holiday got a bit closer, though, and I saw horror stories on the news of cancelled flights, horrendous weather, and travellers stranded for DAYS...I knew I made the right decision once again to stay home. So, Christmas was quiet. I opened a few gifts, made real oyster stew for Christmas Eve dinner and enjoyed a peaceful holiday.
One of my best...ever...gifts came from my brother, Jim. It's a wonderful picture book called "Natural Affinities" and features two of my favorites artists, Georgia O'Keeffe (pictured here) and Ansel Adams. It contains 3 rather lengthy essays comparing and contrasting their work, but the bulk of the book is pictures of some of the most famous and also least seen works by both. I've been to the Georgia O'Keeffe art museum in Santa Fe and have seen a lot of her work. Many of the works featured in this book, however, are in private collections and not often viewed by others. They are spectacular. Although I don't always understand O'Keeffe's paintings, I find them intriguing. Reading about her life only added to my fascination with her as both an artist and a woman.
More tomorrow on Ansel Adams....

2 comments:

Jientje said...

We did not either! We had our annual family Christmas party and gifts exchange last Sunday! We stayed home for Christmas and enjoyed some quiet time at the house, just the two of us!!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Sounds like your brother knows you well and always chooses great gifts! The book sounds neat. I also like both artists, although Georgia more than Ansel. One of my worst dates ever was to an Ansel Adams show and I think it tainted me. :)

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin