Saturday, June 21, 2008

Summer Vacation Frustrations

This is my destination for my summer vacation. Well...not exactly right here at the Roosevelt Arch located at the north entrance of Yellowstone National Park, but about 2 blocks north. I'm yearning to get to a cozy little house on Stone St. in Gardiner, MT--home of Travis, Becky, Parker and Chase. My work schedule and and kids' summer schedule dictates this trip must take place sometime between Aug. 3rd and Aug. 13th. Yesterday I spent hours on my computer pulling up every travel search engine I know trying to make this work without spending a fortune, arriving at midnight or having to get up in the middle of the night to catch a plane. I even thought about driving. Yikes! At $4+ for a gallon of gas, this 1200 mile trip could get really pricey. And then there's the worry that my 1999 vintage, high mileage RAV 4 might poop out along the way. I tried flying out of Des Moines, Omaha, and Kansas City. I tried flying into Bozeman and Billings. I tried flights that get me into Montana at midnight and then getting a motel and rental car and driving down to Gardiner the next day. Or leaving on a 5:20am flight out of Des Moines...painful, but do-able. I even pulled up Amtrak to see if I could get anywhere close (that's a 'no'). I almost pushed the 'book it' button on a flight out of Kansas City. It left at a reasonable time for me to make the 3-hour drive to the airport. I hesitated and hesitated. Then I saw why I couldn't make myself complete the booking. There was only 30 minutes between connecting flights in Denver! That's cutting it 'way too short for me. Even a 10 minute delay could make me miss the connection; it just isn't reasonable to take that chance. Sigh....back to the drawing board. I finally decided to bite the bullet and book something outrageously expensive and inconvenient. Twice I selected those flights only to get the pop-up message that 'unfortunately all those seats are sold out' and please make another (more expensive, more inconvenient) selection. In frustration, and almost in tears, I logged out.

You know...maybe I'm simply not supposed to make this trip!

No comments:

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin