Sunday, June 1, 2008

Fireflies

If someone asked you what's your favorite thing about the place you live, what would be your answer? Okay, so ask me...Evelyn, what's your favorite thing about living in Iowa? Fireflies! They are particularly profuse this year...seems like there are hundreds of them flickering in my yard at night. I took Lucie out last night right before bedtime and was mesmerized by these tiny flying bugs. Knowing I could never get my own photo of them to share with you, I googled this one of fireflies reflected in water. Pictures just don't do them justice, tho. You have to experience their magic in person. Watching them is sort of like watching for a shooting star. If you stare in one place, you miss them. You just have to continually scan the yard to catch their twinkling lights. If you want to know more about the science of fireflies, click here. I prefer to simply see them as a magical mystery of summer.

3 comments:

Jim said...

One time when Jane, John & I were visiting her relatives in New Jersey, she took me out to a place in the country, and as we were driving along this rural road as dusk had settled, she turned off the headlights and we navigated by the light of thousands of the fireflys that were out that warm summer evening... that was breathtaking and I'll never forget it!

One other note... I also like the other house that you're looking at...

Love,

Jim and Beth

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I love the idea of fireflies and so wish we had them here ... I thought we did but haven't yet seen any. Enjoy those magical flies!

Jientje said...

I have never seen fireflies in my life, I would not know what they look like, and indeed, if pictures do not do them justice, it's hard to imagine them.

We are leaving for France ten days from now, and I have already made a couple of posts on Provence. I'll use the planner option Blogger has at our disposal, I don't think I'll be able to post from there. But we will certainly be visiting Goult, and I most certainly would want more pictures of the pink house!
It would be nice to see it from inside too, but I'm too shy to bother anyone with my camera, even if it tempts me like hell!
Anyway, we'll be back with loas of pictures I hope. I hope the weather gets better though!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin