Friday, June 27, 2008

Speaking French

One of the ways I'm already 'thinking like Leonardo' is learning to speak French. I began this journey in 2005 before my first trip to France, and I've continued using the Pimsleur method all the way. I think there are probably many good ways to learn to speak a foreign language, the best being to learn as a child, but Pimsleur seems to work well for me. Each audio lesson is 30-minutes long and consists of listening to and then repeating out loud the words and phrases as the instructor indicates. It starts easy, of course, and gradually the words and phrases build on each other so that you can eventually carry on a simple conversation. You learn how to greet and introduce people, ask for directions, and most importantly, order a glass of wine! I've found on my trips to France that this goes a long way in making me comfortable. And I've been told that I really don't have much of an American accent...gotta like that! It's funny, but when I'm speaking my little bit of French, I find myself feeling French. My voice softens, and I speak in a higher, lighter tone. I 'sing song' my greetings as the French do. I begin to imagine myself strolling down Blvd. St. Germain, carrying my red Longchamps bag, my neck swathed in a bright Hermes scarf. Reality check! I'm actually walking the dusty dirt road behind my house with little Lucie scouting out the route ahead.

I'm almost done with my Pimsleur French III CDs. I thought this was the last set, but as I researched this blog entry, I found they've added an advanced set. I guess French IV will have to suffice until I can move to France and immerse myself in the language!

PS...if I'm going to learn to think like Leo, should I plan on learning Italian next?

No comments:

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin