Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Road Trip Woes

I couldn't have picked worse days to travel to Montana! Going and coming home I drove right into the teeth of major winter storms....in May. My route followed Interstate 90 through South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana. That's the only way to get to Gardiner this time of year since the roads through Yellowstone are not completely plowed. And Interstate 90 was where the storms were centered. I ended up laying over a day in Spearfish, SD to avoid driving right into the center of a huge storm. This morning I left Rapid City, SD in a heavy rain/snow mix. Within minutes it changed over to all snow that eventually began accumulating on the road. The next 40 miles were a challenge! I almost pulled off the Interstate once, but soldiered on. Sure enough by the time I got to Wall, it was warm enough (33 degrees) that the snow became rain. I drove in rain all the way home. Not the most pleasant driving conditions for my road trip! But my time in Montana was wonderful....more on that later.

1 comment:

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin