Monday, April 26, 2010

Oreo Cookie Cows


My neighbors, Doug and Loren at Malabar Farm, raise Oreo cookie cows. I've wanted to catch a picture of them for weeks, but either I didn't have my camera or they weren't in sight when I'd drive past the farm. This morning a few of them were out by the fence. They're actually called Belted Galloways, but I think Oreo cookie suits them just fine, don't you? They look very striking against their brilliantly green spring pasture. Here's what the guys say about their cattle:
Malabar's foundation animals are Green Arpents, known for correct type, hardiness and purity. All of our registered animals are fullblood. We are committed to sustainable agriculture, using limited grain and minimal facilities. We have high standards for herd selection. Our goal is to produce cows which calve easily, are good mothers, and raise their calves efficiently on grass. Bulls are selected for productivity, purity of bloodlines, and conformation. Although the unique appearance is what attracts people to Belted Galloways, the final test is in the efficient production of a high quality meat product. We also have a small herd of commercial, crossbred Belties.
 I'm sure the meat is great. I know the breed withstands the cold Iowa winters well. But I'm intrigued because they just look so cool.

1 comment:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Those have always been my favorite kind of cows. I like your name for them!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin