Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Glad Game


Nothing is blooming yet at Red Bell Farm, but I know it's spring. The irises are up. I've heard red wing blackbirds, and frogs are croaking in the creek. This morning I heard a mourning dove calling. There was a tiny snake slithering across the road when I took Lucie for a walk. I could actually smell dirt last night when I opened the slider onto the deck. On Tuesday, the temperatures hit the low 70's in Des Moines, the warmest in 6 months! The forecast for today is 81 degrees. While it might still snow in April, I've taken a chance and hung the snow shovel back in the barn. I am so glad it's spring. Glad the birds are calling and nesting. Glad the frogs survived the winter to croak once again. Glad that flowers are on the way. Glad to smell the rich Iowa soil after a frozen winter. I'm even glad for slithering snakes. I feel like Pollyanna playing the Glad Game.

What makes you glad about spring?

1 comment:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I'm SO glad it's spring too. We've had a cold Texas winter. I'm glad to see all the blooming trees and know that the crepe myrtles are about to blossom.

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin