Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Blizzard of the Century


Just as predicted, the winds arrived at 4am this morning...how do I know? I was awakened by their moaning and howling! The gusts literally do howl over the top of my wood stove pipe...kind of like blowing over a bottle top. Yesterday was a 'work from home' day. As I checked voice messages and work emails, I watched it snow and snow and snow...to a total of almost 15 inches. Then early this morning, the snow moved out and the winds began to blow. Coupled with dropping temperatures into the single digits today and below zero overnight, this has been labeled a 'dangerous storm' and the 'blizzard of the century.' Hyperbole? maybe...maybe not! All I know is that I'm home again today. Who knows when the road will be plowed? Lucie, Sis the Cat, and I are fine...warm and snug inside with books to read and movies to watch. These big weather events do make me pause and think about how little control we really have over our lives.

I shot this video standing on my back walk looking east over the gravel road towards the ridge. This is what an Iowa blizzard looks and sounds like. Makes you appreciate the hard life the early pioneers had, huh?

1 comment:

Paulita said...

You got our winds. They were predicting them for a couple of weeks. We got no winds, no snow, just the cold. Hope you enjoyed the snow when the wind stopped.

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin