Saturday, July 18, 2009

Can You Hear Me Now?

I just checked one more thing off my 'to-do' list for my upcoming trip. I am now the proud owner of a Motorola V197 quad-band unlocked international cell phone. And I now know more about cell phones and calling internationally than I ever thought I wanted to know. American cell phones, for the most part, don't work abroad. Since I'll be driving alone for most of my month in France, I thought it would be prudent to have a cell phone for all those 'in case' moments...changing a hotel reservation, letting someone know where I am, a traffic accident, etc. After researching both the rent and buy options at Cellular Abroad, I decided to buy for several reasons. I will be returning to France, I may actually get to spend extended time there at some point, and with the proper pre-paid SIM card, I can use this phone in the States as my personal cell phone. This is my SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card for France. That little gold square punches out and goes into my phone. It will allow me to have a French phone number, make calls in France for 19 cents a minute, call home for 18 cents a minute, and receive calls from ANYWHERE for free. That's my phone number..don't try to call me now, tho, as the phone can't be activated until I arrive in France. Mobiho is the French connection to Bouygues network which serves all of France. There shouldn't be any place on my itinerary where you'll hear me say..."can you hear me now?"

1 comment:

Jientje said...

I will need to check and find out what kind of cell phone I will need when I'm in the States too. I won't be able to meet you in france, but maybe we could call each other when you're there?

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin