Sunday, March 16, 2008

Palm Sunday

Today is Palm Sunday. One of my favorite celebrations of this beginning event of Holy Week took place a couple of years ago in Boulder, CO. I was there visiting Edith, and we went to her church for services....St. John's Episcopal Church in Boulder. It's become a Boulder traditional for church-goers from several churches to gather along the street outside the church to wave palm branches and scatter them on the street in preparation for for pilgrims leading 'Christ's donkey.' There were a few brief words to the congregants; this Sunday the Episcopal priest offered a blessing. Then the palms began to wave and the children rushed into the street to strew the palms. I could hear the donkey braying at the end of the block. I'm not sure he was as excited as the crowd was to make his journey. But reason prevailed and there he came, solemnly walking the path. He was very little! Was Jesus' ride this tiny? If so, his feet must have been dragging in the dust. Five minutes and it was over. The crowds dispersed to their respective services. The Episcopalians entered their church waving palms and singing. Holy Week had begun.

My Holy Week begins today. I will attend services at St. Timothy's Episcopal Church in Des Moines. My Holy Week will end with the Great Easter Vigil on Saturday night. I'll share that experience with you next Sunday.

1 comment:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Beautiful. I love re-enactments like that and have seen some great ones over the years. I think it's neat to experience something that makes the Bible come alive.

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin