Saturday, March 22, 2008

A Holy Visit....continued



The sacred ritual held me enthralled. I was convinced that I was watching a holy event, an expression of faith and re-consecration. As a tourist, I was also convinced that I needed to capture this memory on my digital camera.

All around me others took pictures and made video recordings. No one felt the need to be quiet or reverent. While the line before me moved silently, the crowd around me talked, laughed, answered cell phones, and recorded the event. I struggled with myself.

"Go ahead, take the picture," I muttered to myself. "Everyone is taking pictures, you took pictures yourself when you were here last September."

"Yes, but it seems disrespectful....."

"You're a tourist. They expect you to take photos."

"Yes, but it seems intrusive....." I continued to silently argue with myself.

"You spent a lot of money getting over here. They owe you a picture!"

"Yes, but it's Holy Week...."

"Take the picture!!"

I raised the camera and framed the scene. Slowly I pushed the shutter button.

Nothing.

"Change the batteries," it said at the bottom of the view box.

"Message received," I said out loud.

God won that argument.





Above...a picture of Saint-Guillaume Chapel, one of the many chapels ringing the nave.


To the left: the Notre Dame 2/2006

1 comment:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

What a bummer ... but you have the memory intact. Such an awesome experience!

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin