Friday, August 6, 2010

Friends Along the Way

When I read Laury's blog post over at Soar-Dream-France this morning, I was immediately reminded of this fine fellow whom I met one day last September. A visit to Rocamadour was on my agenda having seen it in my Eyewitness guidebook to the Dordogne and Southwest France. Finding the pilgrimage village wasn't a problem; finding a good place to park was, however. I pulled off on the first gravel road I saw and sure enough, it led me to a huge parking area that was mainly for RV's and trailers. It wasn't close enough to where I wanted to be, but this guy standing near the fence lured me out of my car for a quick photo op. I wanted so badly to stroke his soft muzzle and scratch that special place between his ears, but he was having none of it and backed away from the fence when I reached out to touch him. Do you think it's too much of a stretch to imagine that this donkey might be related to the one that traveled with Robert Louis Stevenson across this area in 1879?

No comments:

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin