Saturday, October 17, 2009

Candles


During my month-long stay at Laury's house in the Lot, I was frequently greeted in the morning by candlelight. Laury is a very early riser (not by choice!) so even tho I was always walking down the stairs by 6:30am, she had already been up for a long time. She loved to light candles all over the living room, sit and journal by candlelight. By the end of the month those candles made the dark mornings feel warm and cozy. We'd sit at her dining room table, drinking our coffee by candlelight and watching the dawn arrive over the River Lot flowing outside her window. These candles are from the Notre-Dame-des-Anges (Our Lady of the Angels) church in Collioure. Every church I entered in France was illuminated by flickering candles, lit as intercessory prayer offerings to the Virgin or saint venerated in each tiny chapel.



I took these photos with candles in the Abbey Church in Conques. The Virgin had her own chapel among the many around the nave; the votive nestled in one of the many niches carved into the stone columns that hold up the great vaulted domes of the church. If you'd like to see my very favorite candle photo, you'll have to click over to Dona Nobis Pacem. I'm considering that photo for a Christmas card this year. Let me know what you think of that idea.
I love the soft light that candles bring to the space. I've decided that my house could use some of that same soft light this fall. This morning I ate breakfast by this candlelight.....

3 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

There's something so beautiful and warm about candlelight. Love those pictures.

Jientje said...

I love candles too. Especially now, when the days are getting shorter.

Trubes said...

What is it about we girls and candles?
I just love them.
As soon as Autumn.. come Winter kicks in, out come the candles.

I never miss an opportunity to light a candle.
Whenever i go into a RC church I light one.

Di.x

You might also like: Blog Widget by LinkWithin